When treating patients who may be eligible for hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT), you may view resources related to clinical guidelines describing when and how to refer a patient for transplant consultation and for post-transplant care, information on searching for an unrelated marrow donor or cord blood unit, and evidence-based research and outcomes data.
- Transplant Indications and Improvements
- Timing for Transplant Referral
- Search for a Match
- Physician Medical Education Programs and Materials
Transplant Indications and Improvements
HCT offers a potential cure for blood cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma, aplastic anemia, or a metabolic or immune system disorders. Research and resulting studies have led to expanded patient selection, more precise HLA matching between donor and patient, and more preventive strategies and improved management of complications during patient recovery and survivorship.
Timing for Transplant Referral
Because disease stage at the time of transplant can have a significant impact on patient survival, appropriate planning and early donor identification are critical for optimal outcomes. Referral timing guidelines were developed jointly by the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP)/Be The Match® and the American Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (ASTCT) (formerly known as the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation, or ASBMT). These guidelines are based upon current clinical practice, medical literature, and evidence-based reviews.
Search for a Match
Physicians can search the Be The Match Registry® for an unrelated donor or cord blood unit on behalf of their patients needing hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT).
A free preliminary search lists potentially matched marrow donors or cord blood units at a single moment in time. It does not begin contact with, or request additional testing of, a potential marrow donor or cord blood unit. A preliminary search can be done early, while developing a treatment plan or initiating other treatment.
Learn about the search process: Search for a Match
- Begin a preliminary search: Preliminary Search Request Form
Physician Medical Education Programs and Materials
View the latest HCT guidelines, research highlights, outcomes, and education to aid in decision-making.
- Disease-Specific Indications and Outcomes - Find the latest references, outcomes, and referral timing guidelines by disease.
- HCT Guidelines: Referral Timing and Post-transplant Care - quickly access the latest clinical recommendations from referral through post-transplant care with these free guidelines (available in multiple formats: print, online, and mobile app).
- HCT Outcomes and Statistics - View outcomes and statistics for decision-making; download the slides for use in your presentations.
- Medical Education and Resources - Find online CME and clinical education programs and resources for hematologists and oncologists; plus free patient-friendly materials to supplement your patient education efforts.
- Financial Barriers to Transplant - Find information from the 2015 Advisory Group on Financial Barriers to Transplant meeting.
- Defining Quality in Transplant - Find information on how private payers, government agencies, and medical professionals are working to quantify and measure the cost effectiveness of transplant to define quality in transplantation.
Find answers about the search process at Physician FAQs
For more information please visit: